DIY – Disinfecting Wipes

I don’t know why I waited so long to make my own disinfecting wipes.  I’ve heard how easy they are to make but never really gave it a second thought.  I always figured it’s just  easier to buy name brand wipes from the store but if you really stop to look at the label you will find that you can’t even pronounce some of  the ingredients which have been known to cause serious health problems.  I prefer to use ingredients that are non toxic, natural based and safe.  After learning how to make my own,  I can’t imagine going back to store bought wipes. My goal is to simply introduce safer, less expensive and health conscious alternatives.  The internet is bursting with tons of valuable information that we can use to better our lives and live happier and healthier.  Some of you moms may be thinking “who has time when we can buy the stuff already made?” I totally get it because I’m a working mom too and hardly have any time to myself let alone experimenting with new recipes but when I think of all the products we use and all the chemicals our kids come in contact with it’s a no-brainer for me to want to create a safe, non-toxic environment for my family.   So if you are looking for ways to go green and eliminate harmful toxic chemicals from your home, I invite you to try this easy recipe I found at Live Renewed.  I did tweak it a bit to my liking.  You can check other blogs or websites like Pinterest where you can find an array of home cleaning DIY recipes. The possibilities are endless from making your own laundry detergent to your own face wipes.  Happy DIYing!!!

What you’ll need (see pic #1)

A roll of good quality paper towels (I used Bounty)

2 Cups of Water

4 Tbs – Distilled White Vinegar

1 Tbs – Natural Based Dish Soap (I used Mrs. Meyer’s)

10-12 drops of Essential Oil (The recipe I found called for Lemon but I used Tea Tree Oil)

Air-tight canister

1) What you’ll need                                                                    2)  Cut roll of paper towel in half

IMG_0384

IMG_0386

3) Put half of the roll in canister (cut side down)

IMG_0388

4) Combine all the liquid ingredients listed above  in a measuring cup, stir then pour a little at a time allowing the paper to absorb.

IMG_0389

5) Cover with lid and let absorb for a few minutes.

IMG_0390

6) Gently remove center tube IMG_0392

7) Wala! Your DIY wipes are ready to be used. Start by pulling from the center.

IMG_0393

8) Don’t forget to add a pretty label with the recipe written on it. You can either print one up or use chalkboard contact paper like I did.

IMG_0398

Happy Cleaning Everyone!

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “DIY – Disinfecting Wipes

1. Valerie Baber Designs says:

Wow, this is just what I needed. I have severe issues with soaps and dyes and the other chemicals they use. This is fantastic. Now I can do this and use the ingredients I can tolerate. I too use Tea Tree oil for disinfectant. It is wonderful and love the smell. Smells clean. Thanks for posting this.

Liked by 1 person

2. georgiogiovanni says:

OH THIS IS FANTASTIC,!!! I USE VINEGAR ALOT AND IT IS AN ALL NATURAL ANTIBACTERIAL. THE SMELL FADES EASILY. I HAVE A VINEGAR SPRAY I USE WITH PAPER TOWELS BUT THIS IS GREAT. MUCH BETTER AND EASIER THAN WHAT I DO NOW. WHAT A FABULOUS IDEA. I’LL BE SHARING THIS WITH MY SON AND FRIENDS. THANKS for visiting jeanetteseasycreations.wordpress.com and for liking my holiday centerpiece. I’m happy to see you have a God page. Bless you for that too. I’m setting up something similar on my companion site georgiogiovanni.wordpress.com
    Since you are as concerned as I am about the perils of all these chemicals and things I think you’d enjoy georgios site. I am a nurse so I am very concerned about many things to include vaccination dangers and what’s being put into our food supply. God bless you in all your future endeavors. I love your site! IT IS FANTASTIC.

Liked by 1 person

• ingridbolanos says:

So glad you like it. I just feel it’s important to eliminate as many chemicals as possible from the products we use. I believe they contribute to many illnesses today. And yes I do have a God page. I love our Lord and sharing my faith with anyone who will listen. God bless you too sister and I pray that you touch others through your healing as a nurse. I met a wonderful Christian nurse years ago as I was coming out of cancer surgery. I woke up to her whispering a scripture in my ear.. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). Will never forget her. 😘

3. Spiritdancing says:

thank you for posting this and with such great instructions on how to make your own non-toxic wipes…when i go to the store and watch people using the ones there and even wiping their babies faces with them, it hurts me…but bless their hearts they think they are being good mothers…if they only knew…so thanks for spreading the word…much love and light

4. Jackie says:

Reblogged this on Frugal Living Vancouver Island and commented:
    What a great idea! I make my own wipes but on a much smaller scale. The instructions here are straight forward and the photos are great. Anyone can save money by making their own wipes and staying away from harsh chemicals. Tea tree and the vinegar are good to keep the germ count low in the container as well. Good job!

• ingridbolanos says:

Hi Emily, I got it from the 99 cent store and it’s 5 1/2 inches in diameter and about 6 inches high. It perfectly fits the half of a paper towel roll. I make my own cleaners free of chemicals. It’s very rewarding and I know it’s safe for my family. Hope you try out the recipe. There are many different recipes you can find on pinterest too. 🙂